The academic year in Hungary starts in September and is built up of two semesters: fall and spring semesters. Both semesters start with a registration period which is followed by the study period and an examination period afterwards.
General structure of the year:
- 1st Semester (Fall)
- Registration period: early September
- Study period: early September – mid-December
- Examination period: mid-December – end of January
- 2nd Semester (Spring)
- Registration period: early February
- Study period: early February – mid-May
- Examination period: mid-May – end of June
- In the 1st semester (Fall) usually there is a one-week fall break in October/ November.
- In the 2nd semester (Spring) usually there is a one-week spring break around Easter (in March or April).
- The summer vacation lasts from the end of the 2nd semester (Spring) until the beginning of the 1st semester (Fall).
2020/2021 Fall semester
- Enrollment period: 24 August - 7 September
- Orientation Programs: 25 August - 4 September
- Course registration period: 26 August - 11 September 2019
- Study period:
- 7 September - 11 December
- Exam period
- 14 December - 29 January 2021
- Pázmány Day (no classes): 14 October, Wednesday
- Public holiday (Revolution of 1956): 23 October, Friday
- Fall break: 24 October - 30 October
- All Souls' Day: 2 November, Monday
- Immaculate Conception of Mary (no classes): 8 December, Tuesday