The academic year in Hungary starts in September and is built up of two semesters: fall and spring semesters. Both semesters start with a registration period which is followed by the study period and an examination period afterwards.
General structure of the year:
- 1st Semester (Fall)
- Registration period: early September
- Study period: early September – mid-December
- Examination period: mid-December – end of January
- 2nd Semester (Spring)
- Registration period: early February
- Study period: early February – mid-May
- Examination period: mid-May – end of June
- In the 1st semester (Fall) usually there is a one-week fall break in October/ November.
- In the 2nd semester (Spring) usually there is a one-week spring break around Easter (in March or April).
- The summer vacation lasts from the end of the 2nd semester (Spring) until the beginning of the 1st semester (Fall).
2021/2022 Fall semester
- Welcome Week: 30 August - 3 September
- Course registration period: 2 September - 17 September
- Study period: 13 September - 17 December
- Exam period: 20 December 2021 – 5 February 2022
- International Eucharistic Congress: 5 -12 September
- Pázmány Memorial Day: 14 October
- Fall break: 25 October – 29 October
- National holiday: 23 October (Saturday)
- All Saints' Day: 1 November
- All Souls' Day: 2 November
- Immaculate Conception: 8 December